A year at U of R

(Click here to return to the main page)

Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Fall semester

A quick note back after two weeks off on break...

Just two weeks ago, I was working with patients over the age of 60 with major organ failure. Today, my first new client of the semester was a 7 pound, 6 oz. smiley little guy with curly hair. What a change. Maternal health nursing seems like a different profession entirely. It is so calm and quiet compared to acute care. I must say, though, that I'm a little nostalgic for my old unit. I miss the nurses and staff there, and the familiarity. It's hard to jump around to a new rotation every 5 weeks.

This coming fall semester, I'm doing rotations in women's health, pediatrics, and psych mental health. For the women's health rotation, I'll spend 3 days observing labor and delivery, a few days assisting in a triage care area, and the rest of the time caring for moms and babies in the post-delivery area. I'll also get to watch the lactation consultant at work, and attend some of the parenting classes they have.

I can't believe I've been back from break for 2 days, and tomorrow I may be helping deliver a baby. I'm very excited and nervous. Check in tomorrow and see if I lucked out and got to observe a delivery.

I'm off to read more about the amazing birthing process. Five hours of reading down, another three to go...